Monday 22 February 2016

Introduction



Taxis in Barcelona, Spain

 Welcome to this blog.  Joni Mitchell, a folk singer, recorded “Big Yellow Taxi” in 1970 which has the words,
“Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot.”

I have found that illness because it deprives, takes away many aspects of a person’s life, can remind us of all that there is to be thankful for. Like Joni Mitchell’s song when something is taken away we can find ourselves seeing it differently.

Being thankful has had a sort of resurrection in recent years, but encouragement to ‘be thankful’ stretches back centuries, from early Roman philosophers to the Bible and other religious faiths. There is good research to suggest that being thankful can enhance our happiness and that of those around us. This blog is my reflections on ‘being thankful’.

I have set myself the task of writing 27 blogs with the aim of raising money for two charities, Invest in ME, which supports biological research into ME (Myalgic Encephamyolitis) which in some countries is called variously CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) or CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome), and MacMillan Cancer Support which supports people with cancer.

Why 27? Many people run marathons to raise money for charity but as I can’t do that I am doing 27 days of blogging instead. If you enjoy the reflections please share the link with others and consider donating to one of these charities as a way of saying ‘thank you’ for all that is good in your life. At the same time I hope to stretch my own ‘gratitude’ muscles.

Please do all you can to support these worth while causes. Donations can be made on-line via Justgiving or by post.  Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Just Giving for MacMillan Cancer Support –

Just Giving for Invest in ME


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to help other causes. I didn't know one could do that with a blog, Elaine. I donate to the Cancer society in Canada and have helped collect for 30 years. I have never heard of ME and think we need to know more about chronic diseases. Thank you for letting me know about this.

    ReplyDelete