Thursday 25 February 2016

The Transformative Power of Gratitude

View of Venice from the Grand Canal on a cold February



“Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” — Marcel Proust

It seems that I am in good company with the idea that being thankful can enhance our lives. The University of California Berkeley are undertaking a huge research project on the power of gratefulness. They define gratitude as “an affirmation that there are good things in life and it’s an affirmation of relationships with people who give us good things”

“Gratitude is many things to many people,” Sonia Lyubomirsky writes. “It is wonder; it is appreciation; it is looking on the bright side of a setback; it is fathoming abundance; it is thanking someone in your life; it is thanking God; it is ‘counting blessings.’ It is savouring; it is not taking things for granted; it is coping; it is present-oriented.” (from her book “The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want”)

The photo above was taken one cold February when my husband took me to Venice for our 30th wedding anniversary.  The quality of light that wintry evening enhanced the beauty of the photo.

At times the world can seem a place of difficulty, uncaring and cold. Thankfulness helps to remind me of what is beautiful, kind, loving and good in my life. It changes the frame of my focus and the ‘filter’ I use. The shadows are still there, but I see the beauty too.

Today: I am thankful for all that is beautiful in my life and helps my soul to blossom, and for all those people who enhance my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment