Saturday 12 March 2016

Celebrate with Music, Drama and Art

Sculpture of glass, wood and metal



The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude - Frederich Nietzsche

Do you ever find yourself humming a tune and wondering ‘Where did that come from?’ Music seems to lodge deep within us.  Victor Hugo said that “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent” and my heart begins to swell remembering all the times that music has had the power to move me. Maybe that is why when great hymns are sung in churches where the notes rise high or the amazing crescendos of orchestral music arc upwards in a concert hall it fills us with a paean of thanks.

Art and creativity in all its forms can bring forth a deeper appreciation within us. Currently there is an exhibition in London of artists and their gardens. I haven’t seen it nor will I, but the reviews tell a story of artists who so admired their gardens that they wanted to paint them and to express what they felt. Isn’t that what gratitude is? Trying to find a way of expressing our thankfulness, our deep felt appreciation in ways other than words which can seem inadequate at times.

I came across an article, “Music and Gratitude: The Gifts that Keep On Giving” in the Huffington Post by Frank Fitzpatrick. You might like to take a look.

Today: How do I creatively nourish my inner being, my values to develop myself and to live more thankfully from the core of my being and not superficially?

No comments:

Post a Comment