Sunday 13 March 2016

A Bridge of Peace and Thanksgiving

Peace Bridge in Derry / Londonderry, Northern Ireland


“Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer.” Maya Angelou

It is joyous to see the Peace Bridge which curves from one side to the other of the City across the Foyle. It is a symbol of peace and possibility – hands across the divide - joining together two parts.

Around the world there are symbols of peace and remembrance. Why? There is a link I think between peace and remembrance, thanksgiving and healing within communities. We see it at times of remembering those who died during a war on all sides of a conflict. We recognise our common humanity.We know we cannot take peace for granted but need to sustain an ongoing dialogue with those we disagree with.

It has a special significance for me as my husband comes from Northern Ireland and grew up within the Catholic community. I on the other hand was born in mainland England and grew up with the influence of the Protestant Church. 
Today I am thankful for all who have worked for peace in Northern Ireland; all who had the will, the courage and the vision. It has been a long hard road. There is still work to do. It gives me hope when I look at conflicts around the world or even nearer to home in our communities. 



No comments:

Post a Comment